Monday, September 8, 2014

The Fritsch Weekend Update

We put many miles on the car this past weekend, playing the part of college graduate nomads with our wonderful blow up mattress in tow.  It started out with me driving to Hoffman Estates on Friday, where we left my car in the parking lot at Ben's work and made our way down to the Sandwich Fair, in Sandwich, IL.  Now, Ben's family is a big deal down in Sandwich, as is evident by their permanent spot at the "Fritsch Oasis", and I have been told that the Fritsch name definitely holds some weight when it comes to fair judging.  So, this year, while I still had the shine on my new last name, I decided to enter the fair!  I entered the digital photography competition, submitting 12 photos in various categories.

2014-09-08 10.17.19
That's right, the Fritsch Oasis AND conversation station!  Keeping you company and keeping you cool

And, wouldn't you know, I came home with a ribbon!  It might not have been a pretty blue first place, but a ribbon is a ribbon, second place or not, and I am happy to say it also came with $5 monetary award (ice cream is on me!).  Needless to say, my first fair entering experience was a success.  What made it even sweeter was that the picture that won me the ribbon was one that I took on the day that Ben and I got engaged... ah...

2014-09-08 10.19.06
This is the face of a winner
We spent the night at Ben's grandpa, asleep on our amazing blow up mattress in the living room next to cousins and aunts.  It was a fun night, complete with nachos, warm brownies and a repeat showing of the Lego Movie.  It was good to spend time with the cousins, especially since some will soon be moving away to Kansas (super sad face...)

In the morning, after visiting the fair again (It is the second largest state fair in Illinois. Mad Respect!), we headed out to Notre Dame.  Our Fighting Irish had a night game against the always hated Michigan Wolverines.  We arrived there in time to grab some food and beers at a tailgate and then head into the stadium for the season's first night game.

Go Irish! Beat Wolverines!  Suck it Wolverines!
While the first drive or so may not have been the prettiest (I think we used all 3 first half timeouts within the first 5 minutes), we soon pulled away.  The rest of the game was spent, I am incredibly happy to report, kicking some Wolverine ass.  I am still a little confused about the last play of the game, but I don't feel too bad about that because 1.) Everyone is still a little confused about what happened there and 2.) We OWNED Michigan.  31-0.  As is shut out.  As in, GO IRISH!

2014-09-08 10.19.53
Please ignore the strange clasping of my hands.  I was mid-clap for this panoramic
Anyways, we spent the night at the house of my roommate from college, once again blowing up our beloved air mattress (don't hate, I love our air mattress), took her to breakfast in the morning and drove straight home to Rockford.  And it wasn't until we were pulling into the driveway of our apartment, that we remembered that I had parked my car in the parking lot of Ben's work.  In Hoffman Estates.  Which we had passed on the way home an hour ago. Sigh...

All in all, besides the 2 hours of backtracking needed to go pick up JoJo the Jetta, a good weekend full of books on tape, tailgating food and winners.

Your Fritsch Weekend Update was brought to you by Cameron's Jamica Me Crazy coffee.  Because every Monday morning of mine is most likely brought to you only through the use of hot coffee.

3 comments:

  1. You also left a towel at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a busy, fun weekend! Wish we lived close enough to where we could visit via roadtrip. But that would be one LONG roadtrip.

    ReplyDelete