Saturday, April 19, 2014

It’s All in the Name


As might have been gleaned from my first post, I used to have a cooking blog.  It was called, drumroll please, The Big Green Cookbook.  It had nothing to do with eco-friendly ways of cooking your morning egg or any other similar lofty goal.  Rather, I had bought a green photo album from Target and was subsequently working my way through cooking magazines and Smitten Kitchen’s entire recipe archive trying to find delicious nuggets that I could fill the cookbook with.  Even now, I believe in theory that this is a good basis for a blog.  Well, a good basis if you aren’t me.  I kept at it solidly for a good year and a half, but then it started to taper off.  Long story short, I was damn tired of taking pictures of my food instead of immediately eating it and therefore, after two and a half years and 151 posts, The Big Green Cookbook was dead.

No one really was that sad.  Maybe no one even notice.  Case in point, just a few days ago my own mother mentioned that she needed to go out to my blog to catch up on it.  I almost didn’t have the heart to tell her that I hadn’t posted anything since September 25 of last year.

Obviously, the entirety of the failure was due to the fact that for a cooking blog, “The Big Green Cookbook” is a terrible name.  I mean, what I was thinking?  Not only did I decide to randomly start a blog one arbitrary Thursday night in late March, but I also immediately gave it the death blow by naming it Big Green Cookbook.  I was bound and determined to not let that happen this time around.  So I thought about a good name for about 2.5 days.  Here’s the basic rundown of what my thinking process looked like:
  • Initial suggestion, made during the infamous lunch where the idea for another blog was started, was “I Do, We Did”.  My first thought?  “And We’re Done!”.  Not a positive blog title.
  • “Waxing Witty”, “The Witty Wife”, “Wholehearted Wit”.  I’m great at alliteration, but not wit.  Not sure where I was going there.
  • “Happy Wife, Happy Life”.  I am warning you once, but I will put it in bold letters because it is that important.  Do NOT Google “Happy Wife Happy Life Blog” at work.  It is decidedly inappropriate and, sorry if this is slightly judgmental of me, but just straight weird.  Don’t do it.
  • And finally, after a brain-storming session with loyal blog reader #1 (aka, my college roommate), “Life Tweaking”.  Which lead to “Life Twerking”, which obviously lead to “Twerking through Life”.  Believe it or not, that was the front runner for about 7 hours, even if I’m not 100% sure what twerking is (a dance move that is tactless when performed in public and should only be done on one’s husband?)
Inevitably, it took a hot shower one day after working out to realize I should probably be somewhat serious and do something that is uniquely me.  And, seeing as I’m about 29% straight nerd and overly proud of the fact that I am a chemical engineer, something chemical engineer-y seemed appropriate.  Obviously the Peng-Robinson equation of state was my first thought (actually, I’m pretty sure I only solved that correctly like maybe twice, and was so proud of it each time), but it was already taken on Blogger.  So, I decided to go back to day one, Cheg 101: Energy In always equals Energy Out.

Success.

No comments:

Post a Comment